Re: Hard drive cable question -

Tim wrote:

So, now, tell me how that equates to being wired "straight through"?

Mike McCarty:

Well, if a cable isn't "crossed" it's "straight-through", even if not
all pins are connected.

That's not "straight through".  For it to be so, each and every wire has
to connect to the same pins on each and every connector.  Pin 1 to 1,
pin 2 to 2, etc.

You are using a definition of "straight through" which I have
not seen rigorously enforced. Cables are generally either
"straight through" or "crossed". I've seen 25 pin cables used
for RS232 called "straight through" when only 3 pins were
actually connected, and likewise called "crossover" when
only the same three pins were connected (2,3,7).

If it's not straight through on all wires, then you cannot say it's
straight through.  Just try using any cable that's not completely wired
up, still described as being straight through, but you needed the
connections that were omitted.

"Cannot" is a very strong term, and though I have absolutely no
stake in this particular outcome, since it doesn't involve me...

I'll say that you seem to be more interested in what
makes you look good than what is customary usage in the industry.

Granted that you probably won't *need* those wires on the IDE ribbon
cable, but it's going down a very slippery slope when you start to
redefine the meaning of descriptions so that the same thing means
different things in different in different contexts, just because
someone wants to be a pain.

I haven't redefined anything. What I'm telling you is that I've
been making cables since about 1970 or so, and I've seen cables
called "straight through" when not all pins are connected. I've also
seen cables described as "straight through" when not all pins
*could* be connected, like when one end is 25 pin and the other
end is 9 pin, and when one end is 25 pin and the other is 36 pin
(Centronics).

It's a very bad, VERY BAD, idea to outright lie to people.  Do not tell

"Lie" is a very strong word in any language.

It's an accurate one.  When you tell untruths to people, you are lying.

No, one lies when one's intent is to decieve. Simply telling an untruth
is not lying. Even telling a truth can be lying if one omits to tell
all the truth but withholds key information. I suggest you get a
reasonable dictionary and look up the verb. Here, I'll save you the
effort:

lie (lied, lying) v.i. 1. To make untrue statements knowingly,
especially with intent to deceive. 2. To give an erroneous or
misleading impression: Figures do not /lie/. - v.t. 3. To bring
about by lying: He /lied/ his way out of trouble.

Those are all the definitions for the verb from a 1930 page dictionary
that weighs about 10 pounds and is about six inches thick that I
have. So being wrong or stating an untruth is not lying.

What's worse is when people don't know that you're doing so.  Quite
frankly, the poster went back and asserted some very wrong information,
not just got it wrong.

Yes, I saw some incorrect statements. Some of them were made by you.
But I don't think you are lying.

[snip]

So can cutting it off, in my experience.

Considering that IDE cables come in all sorts of lengths (they're not
cut to resonance), whether you alter the length of a cable, or use one
with a different length, makes no difference.  Making them too long
*does* cause problems, and having excess cable floating about *can*.

I didn't see anyone say anything that could be construed as saying
that an over long cable couldn't or wouldn't cause problems.

Concerning cutting them shorter, I didn't say it was difficult, I said
it wasn't something I'd recommend a newbie to do.

[snip]

Also, it means that one cannot use CS (not that I want to) without
further surgery on the cable.

Cable-select would be best avoided anyway.  With single drives it's
often necessary to set them specifically as single drives, you can't do
that with any cable-select cable.

[snip]

In theory and in my experience, there is no problem using a single
drive jumpered as a master on a CS capable cable. I don't like
CS cables for a number of reasons, but not for this one.

This is enough of this exchange for me.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.