Re: Hard drive cable question -

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 11:31 +1030, Tim wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> >> So, now, tell me how that equates to being wired "straight through"?

> Mike McCarty:
> > Well, if a cable isn't "crossed" it's "straight-through", even if not
> > all pins are connected.

> That's not "straight through".  For it to be so, each and every wire has
> to connect to the same pins on each and every connector.  Pin 1 to 1,
> pin 2 to 2, etc.

	Sorry...  Wrong answer.  That is not the conventional nominclature that
is used for cables, in general.  What you are referring to is "fully
pinned, straight through".  It gets even uglier with RS-232 where a lot
of DB-25 cables did NOT have all (or even MOST) of the 25 wires but were
still referred to as "straight through" as opposed to "cross-over" or
"null-modem" cables (I can think of a few DB-9 cables I've run into that
were "straight through" but were not "fully pinned", gag...).  Straight
through means that every "pinned" cable is wired to the same pin, even
if not all the pins are wired.  Nothing is crossed or looped back.

> If it's not straight through on all wires, then you cannot say it's
> straight through.  Just try using any cable that's not completely wired
> up, still described as being straight through, but you needed the
> connections that were omitted.

	Recurse to RS-232.  Straight through does NOT imply straight through on
all wires.  If it doesn't apply for RS-232 (or RS-485, or VGA, etc,
etc), why should it here.  Provide supporting documentation for the
claim, if you please.

> Granted that you probably won't *need* those wires on the IDE ribbon
> cable, but it's going down a very slippery slope when you start to
> redefine the meaning of descriptions so that the same thing means
> different things in different in different contexts, just because
> someone wants to be a pain.

	I'm using descriptions that have been in use since "Black Box"
published their first catalogs and 4800 Baud synchronous modems were the
cat's ass.  When the the definitions change?  Or are you going to claim
that one definition is true for one type of cable and yet another
standard applies to this type of cable.  Again, documentation please...
I think you are making the assumption that "straight through" implies
"fully pinned" and that's in error.  I have run into that over the
years, but it's a mistake that can bite you when you least expect it.
It's a common misconception.  Certainly, since the vast majority of
ribbon cables are fully pinned (it's harder to make them not be fully
pinned) it's easy to see where that misconception originates.

> >> It's a very bad, VERY BAD, idea to outright lie to people.  Do not tell
>
> > "Lie" is a very strong word in any language.

> It's an accurate one.  When you tell untruths to people, you are lying.
> What's worse is when people don't know that you're doing so.  Quite
> frankly, the poster went back and asserted some very wrong information,
> not just got it wrong.

	Lie is inappropriate.  Ignorance or misconception may be more
appropriate.  Then we get to debate who has the misconceptions.

	: - Remaining cruft deleted...

	Regards,
	Mike
--