Re: What do you think of Centos

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 14:33, Craig White wrote:

> > I still think what they're doing is wrong and I won't use it or
> > recommend it.  Obviously a fair lot of you think it's just peachy to
> > get RHEL for free.  Cool, knock yourselves out.
> ----
> there are some things that you aren't considering...
>
> 1 - Red Hat isn't required to put all their SRPM's on the net - free for
> download, they only need to provide the SRPM's to purchasers and that
> could be via other methods...it's simply the method that they are
> choosing.

The Centos team claims to have one or more paid licenses for
the matching RHEL products and at least the GPL'd packages
cannot have restrictions against additional redistribution.

Any way you look at it, one layer of redistribution isn't
any more or less moral than any other layer.  The GPL takes
away the ability for some other company to make a better
commercial package and charge the incremental amount for
the improvement, but to avoid that competition you have to
expect that others will copy and possibly improve the
product and give it away.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx