Re: What do you think of Centos

Robert F. Chapman wrote:

> I agree with the comments below.  I think it is important however, that
> we have people with an "out of the box approach" making additions to
> what Redhat has started.  Sometimes making drastic direction changes to
> a distro is difficult with out re-spinning the distro.
>
> If a re-spin is done, then I think it should be upto the distro
> maintainers to maintain their sources separate from Redhat, and not just
> respin every update/release of Redhat's RPMS.  If your name goes on the
> box, I think you should be making major contributions and maintaining
> that distro and not just putting your name on it.

The guys that did the work to create a lot of these packages (largely
not Redhat) put it deliberately under a license to stop that kind of
pointless fragmentation.  If Redhat backpatch Postfix, which they
downloaded from the postfix site in a tarball originally like anyone
else, why should that be surrounded by some ethical forcefield in
violation of the license?  It's called Free software for a reason.

Redhat insist that the Redhat name is taken off the respins
trademarkwise, which is fine, but that is why there is another name on
it, not because it is being passed off as something else.

Identifying with RHAT and acknowledging the benefits we get from their
work are Good Things, but there is nothing wrong with respins IMO,
legally or morally, in fact its the whole idea.

-Andy