Re: [akonstam: Re: cups sucks me]

akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 03:21:23PM -0600, John Pierce wrote:
>
>>Well, I had similar problems getting cups to serve up to my local
<snip>

> Ok, lets take this from the top. The cupsd.conf should have only one
> Listen statement in most cases, and that is:
> Listen 127.0.0.1
>
> Clients on the same LAN will be able to print to the printer without
> any further configuration. That is , no server line needs o appear in
> the clients.conf file. Further, if the Server line appears in the
> client.conf file then the client will not be able to print to a local
> printer.
>
> Under no circumstances should system-config-printer be used to
> configure CUPS printers. It has serious flaws for this purpose.
>
> If the original poster used system-config-printer to configure the
> server printers this is one reason printer might have not worked on
> the clients.

Yes I did. But this answer might be a joke: I read the documentation
under http://localhost:631/admin

<quote>

Adding Your First Printer from the Command-Line

/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p printer -E -v device -m ppd ENTER

</quote>

OK I have a HP laserjet 1015

<quote>

You'll find a complete list of PPD files and the printers they will work
with in Appendix C, "Printer Drivers".

</quote>

Nothing for my printer.... (system-config-printer has it).

So:

<quote>

Adding Your First Printer from the Web

</quote>

Same problem: the only hp laserjet in the list is: 1020 and, of course,
this does not match my printer.....

What can I do?

--
François Patte