Re: [OT] Fun with walking package licenses

Andy Green wrote:

[snip list]

I believe that despite what the packages say, the actual libraries used
in libgcc and compat-libstdc++ are LGPL, so this does not show a problem
AFAIK.

According to LGPL, they must provide their own stuff in a form suitable
for reverse engineering and modification for the customer's own use.
AFAICT, the only real distinction between GPL and LGPL is that the
producer of a program with proprietary stuff in it who links with
LGPL stuff doesn't have to allow the customer to reveal the content
of the proprietary stuff, but still must reveal it to the customer.
The GPL requires the producer not to have proprietary stuff, it
must all be redistributable. If the proprietary stuff has trade
secrets in it, then LGPL would be its death.

Yes, you can do what you like with GPL stuff, link proprietary code to
real GPL libraries, add proprietary code to GPL code, whatever: so long
as you will not 'distribute' the result.  The GPL only seeks to control
the terms of distribution, otherwise do what you want.  For example you
could "extend and embrace" GPL code to form a website AIUI and keep that
proprietary.

AIUI the general rules for distribution and proprietaryness are:

 - your proprietary app + proprietary libs : pay to license the libs and
binary-only is fine

 - your proprietary app + BSD or similar, or PD : binary-only is fine,
you need to include some copyright notices in the binary with BSD

 - your proprietary app + LGPL'd libs : binary-only is fine, but if you
ship the libs you need to provide sources for them, including any mods
to them

You have to provide the proprietary part in a form suitable for
reverse engineering and modification by the customer for his own
use. This is, of course, presuming that courts will uphold sections
5 and 6 of the LGPL as written, and if they mean what they seem
to mean.

 - your proprietary app + GPL'd libs : *GPL ERROR*, you must GPL your
app or find an alternate LGPL or BSD or PD or Proprietary alternative
library to link to

[snip]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.