Re: [OT] The GPL and possible violations

Don Bedsole wrote:
Hi,
Ok, I have to admit, I have not been playing close attention to this discussion, but what I have seen has raised a question for me. I would like a clarification. Do I, as an end user have the right to install non-GPL software (e.g. RealPlayer) on my Linux box if it links to GPL software? Can I install non-GPL software which links to anything it wants to on my computer? Is it legal for non-GPL software distributors (RealPlayer, et. al) to furnish software to me which links to GPL software? Wouldn't it only be a problem if I were to somehow redistribute the non-GPL--GPL software combination? In other words, can non-GPL distributors (again RealPlayer for example), give me whatever software they want to, which links to whatever it wants to, as long as I, the end-user, do not distribute the resulting GPL-non--GPL combination? Thank you.

I had always thought that you /are/ permitted to install non-GPL software on your own box, even if it links to GPL software. Indeed, the /Lesser/ or /Library/ GPL specifically permits you to /link/ to publicly licensed libraries, so long as you do not try to /modify/ those libraries and then claim ownership over them.

Then again, the GPL maintainers are under no obligation to respect backward compatibility of a non-GPL application. The commercial vendor thus must accept the responsibility of rebuilding his program when necessary.

But you may not /distribute/ a GPL/non-GPL package.

This is why Fedora /never/ distributes with MP3 libraries or applications. You have to get them separately from another repository, if you want to play something in that format. And I assume that most people here would advise you never to /rip/ to MP3, but rather stick to Ogg-Vorbis or other GPL sound format.

If I have misconstrued any of the above, I welcome any correction.

Temlakos