Re: Book recommendation

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 10:28 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 12:20 -0500, David Cary Hart wrote:
> > One thing that both helps and hinders is to install webmin. It helps
> > because it provides a GUI to server configurations, IPTables and a
> > host of other things. It hinders because you really need to learn the
> > command line.
>
> Webmin, and things like it, need maintaining as rapidly as everything
> that it can control.  If one of them develops differently, webmin will
> still be trying to configure it the old way.
>
> That was one of the serious drawbacks with with Linuxconf.  After a
> while, it was configuring things wrong.
----
seems to be a rather unfair comparison of both breadth and frequency of
maintenance. I never saw linuxconf in an unbroken state.

Webmin is meticulously maintained and I am wondering if you have some
issue that isn't resolved because I certainly don't see you posting to
the webmin list.

For what it is...it's really a great product. What it isn't is a
substitute for understanding how to maintain your daemons yourself.

I use it at a lot of clients, not because I can't do administration
without it, but I can leave it behind for the office manager to
add/delete users, add users to groups, etc. Most of my clients are using
LDAP accounts and the sophistication is good enough to make it simple
for them.

So if your point is what may happen, I can tell you in the 8+ years I
have been using webmin, I have had few if any problems and Jamie's track
record for bug fixes seems to be in the 1 to 2 days range, which is way
better than the track record of any other project that I have seen.

Craig