Re: Book recommendation

--- Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 10:28 +1030, Tim wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 12:20 -0500, David Cary Hart wrote:
> > > One thing that both helps and hinders is to install webmin. It
> helps
> > > because it provides a GUI to server configurations, IPTables
> and a
> > > host of other things. It hinders because you really need to
> learn the
> > > command line.
> >
> > Webmin, and things like it, need maintaining as rapidly as
> everything
> > that it can control.  If one of them develops differently, webmin
> will
> > still be trying to configure it the old way.
> >
> > That was one of the serious drawbacks with with Linuxconf.  After
> > while, it was configuring things wrong.
> ----
> seems to be a rather unfair comparison of both breadth and
> frequency of
> maintenance. I never saw linuxconf in an unbroken state.

We had a helluva time with it about 7-8 years ago... that was when
Caldera was just an enhanced version of RedHat. I think one of the
main difficulties was, in that era, handedits of /etc files was the
norm and if you hand-edited resolv.conf, and later fired up
Linuxconf, everything went south in a hurry. Then it had some
problems of it's own and, it not only went south, it headed for
Pitcairn Island amid a very loud clamor from the Caldera users-list.
Usually you could get someone to admit that indeed they did some
hand-edit before linuxconf blew up. I did and it did! <g>

Linuxconf was a very good effort though, and I appreciate the work
put into it by it's coder(s). It beleive that the problem remains the
same, it's either/or hand-edit or use the gui... not much middle
ground. That's my two-cents, Ric

   ...the Sin of Ignorance, and
   ...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256