Re: SMART error and K3B issues

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 20:46:59 -0400,
  Jean-Rene Cormier <jrc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 things here that are bugging me a little bit, first one is I'm
> starting to get some SMART errors in my logs. Just a bunch of these:
>
> Device: /dev/hda, 1 Offline uncorrectable sectors
>
> Should I be worried that my HD is gonna die soon?

You should be worried that you may have already lost data in the unreadable
sector.

One bad sector doesn't mean that your drive is in immenint danger of dying,
but its not a good sign either.

In the shprt run, you should try to find out what data you have lost and
try to repair it.

If the data or server downtime is valuable enough, you should consider getting
a replacement drive.

If you want to continue using the drive, you will probably need to rewrite
the sector to get the drive to remap it or continue using it (depending on
how bad the problem is).