Re: PC speaker does not speak

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 16:34 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Whilst I agree that some aspects of the sound system are quite weird
(unintuitive naming of things, unintuitive indication of status,
etc.)...

> As for the system-config-soundcard and its variants,
> I've always found this completely useless,
> even on machines where sound is working.
> What exactly is its function?
> If the soundcard is working, it tells you the soundcard is working.
> If it is not working, it tells you it is not working.

I found that *that* application would find the sound cards on my system
(well, mine gets found twice, once as a usuable card, and the
alternative unusable DOS emulation), it would play test sounds allowing
me to know things work working, and it would set my chosen card as the
one to be used.

Running it, and making the right choice, was all I've had to do to set
up sound on about five different PCs around here.  The only PCs I've had
trouble getting sound working on had broken hardware, or truly nasty ISA
sound cards.  I took the easy route to resolving those problems.

I read messages from the public lists.