Re: netgear wg511t - wireless network card

There are also madwifi RPMs of a similar nature on lvn.
http://rpm.livna.org/configuration.html

Axel Thimm wrote:

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 07:19:44PM -0800, bruce wrote:
hi axel...

i checked out the link you provided and i'm still confused...

here are the steps i think i need (but i still don't know which card to
use!!)

-do a "uname -r" and get the kernel for my system
-go to the atrpms site and get the required rpm
-install the rpm

There are two rpms, the one with kmdl+uname -r in the name, and the
one w/o. The latter contains some userland appications.

(is there only one rpm for RHEL 4?)

Please check the site at http://atrpms.net/dist/el4/madwifi/, you
probably need:

http://dl.atrpms.net/all/madwifi-0.9.6.0-18.el4.at.i386.rpm
http://dl.atrpms.net/all/madwifi-kmdl-2.6.9-22.0.2.EL-0.9.6.0-18.el4.at.i686.rpm

adjust accordingsly, if you have an athlon (or even athlon 64) or smp.

after i do the install of the madwifi-module rom, do i need to do anything
else? the web page mentioned sharutils....

No, nothing else needs to be installed, but now you must configure
modprobe.conf and create ifcfg-ath0. The madwifi wiki is very
elaborate on this.

do i need to do the "modprobe" ? when would i do it?

Not really, only for testing. Later the initscripts do the modprobe
for you via the alias lines in modprobe.conf.

when do i place my card in the slot?

Right at the beginning, it won't hurt. You'll need it the very latest
when you or the system tries to modprobe the module.

how do i know if i even have the right/correct card for this rpm?

Use lspci, e.g.

# lspci | grep Atheros
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)

lord give me windows!!!! just kidding.. but there really should be a better
way for this...

a site/page that says, ... take this card, for this linux version.. and do
these steps...!!!!

http://madwifi.org, I already posted a specific link to the RHEL
section. There is enough information specific for RHEL as well as
generic to the driver (just start on the front page) to allow you to
do anything with it.

http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs
http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/FirstTimeHowTo
http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/Distro/RedHat