Re: PC speaker does not speak

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Even after modprobing pcspkr (and verifying that it's loaded, via lsmod), I can't seem to make my laptop squawk. "echo -e '\\007'", neither in a terminal window, nor or any one of the ALT-VTs, seems to have any effect.

I know that the laptop can squawk -- it does it when I turn it on, so I must be missing some other crucial step.

Bring up the Volume Control. Be sure that all appropriate Playback volume settings are not muted and are set at a reasonable volume.

Also, go to the Switches tab and be sure that "External Amplifier" is checked. I had to do this to get the internal laptop speakers to work, even though externally connected speakers worked fine.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz