Problems configuring Apache

I have configured Apache the way I want but am having problems letting
it recognize URL's of the form
   http://myserver/~user
I have copied the configuration I have on another box (a Dec Alpha) and
also compared it to my configuration on a SUN and cannot figure out what
is wrong.

I have
     <IfModule mod_userdir.c>
         #
         # To enable requests to /~user/ to serve the user's public_html
         # directory, remove the "UserDir disable" line above, and uncomment
         # the following line instead:
         #
         UserDir public_html
     </IfModule>
in my httpd.conf file but when I try to access a users public_html
directory I get a 403 error with
     You don't have permission to access /~user on this server
     Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request

I have tried setting the permissions to 777 on directories and 666 on files but that
does not solve the problem.

Any help in tracking down what is wrong in my configuration is greatly appreciated.
--
Wojciech Komornicki