Re: VERY OT, But this guy really needs help (PT clobbered)

Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
Actually ...

On 2/17/06, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't see any reason cfdisk needed to write to his /home
partition, even to rewrite the geometry information.

cfdisk should not have changed anything -- but I believe the system is
confused now because the client has changed the hda5/6 to hda7/8 ?

Only in his entry in fstab, I think. I asked him to try a direct
mount, and that didn't work either.

Here's my partition table now, in a couple different formats:

                                cfdisk 2.11u

Originally this was more or less a Debian issue but I feel it is
migrating toward a Knoppix/toolset problem -- I would be of very

Well, KNOPPIX is Debian, more or less.

little help -- I have never used Knoppix and have heard bad things
about cfdisk -- so I must bow out.

Really? What have you heard? I know there were many times I was
frustrated by MSDOS fdisk insisting on overwriting the BR on
partitions which really didn't need it. Got me into the habit
of always backing up my MBR *and* the BRs of all partitions
I wanted to save before fiddling with the PT.

Sorry.

Not a problem. You're a volunteer. You help as much as you
feel inclined to.

I'm sure no one would fault you for that.

I was hoping there was someone who knows what the layout of
the "geometry" record is, and whether we can figure out what
got clobbered, maybe repair it.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.