Re: Too many unicode_start processes

2006-02-15 (水) の 09:32 -0800 に Peter J. Stieber さんは書きました:
> PS = Pete Stieber
> PS>> I recently posted mentioning that I was getting out of memory
> PS>> (oom) errors with FC4 kernels 1656 and 1831 on both
> PS>> x86_64 and i686 version of  the kernel.
> PS>>
> PS>>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-February/msg01112.html
> PS>>
> PS>> I have simple Bash shell scripts (first line has #!/bin/bash)
> PS>> that seem  to start up many unicode_start processes, but
> PS>> it doesn't occur every time I run the scripts. I haven't been
> PS>> able to figure out what triggers this behavior. The script that
> PS>> I believe caused the problem in my prior post is one that
> PS>> cleans up a source directory hierarchy.
> PS>>
> PS>> #!/bin/bash
> PS>> # Checking to see if your home directory exists.
> PS>> TOP_DIR=$HOME
> PS>> if test ! -d $TOP_DIR; then
> PS>>   echo ERROR: Directory $TOP_DIR does not exist!
> PS>>   exit
> PS>> fi
> PS>> # Checking to see if a source directory exists.
> PS>> SOURCE_DIR=$TOP_DIR/Source
> PS>> if test ! -d $SOURCE_DIR; then
> PS>>   echo ERROR: Directory $SOURCE_DIR does not exist!
> PS>>   exit
> PS>> fi
> PS>> cd $SOURCE_DIR
> PS>> find . -name aclocal.m4 -exec rm {} \;
> PS>> find . -name configure -exec rm {} \;
> PS>> find . -name Makefile.in -exec rm {} \;
> PS>> find . -depth -type d -name autom4te-2.53.cache -exec rm -rf {} \;
> PS>> find . -depth -type d -name autom4te.cache -exec rm -rf {} \;
> PS>>
> PS>> I have run this script many times since and haven't
> PS>> seen the problem, but every once in a while my
> PS>> Bash scipts start a ton of unicode_start processes.
> PS>> I use the system provided .bashrc.
> PS>>
> PS>> Does anyone have a suggestion as to what might
> PS>> cause all of the unicode start processes?
>
> JR = Joel Rees
> JR> Got any non-US-ASCII characters in path names?
> JR> Like file names with umlauts and such in them?
>
> No. If I did wouldn't the problem occur every time I ran the script?

Depends on what's in the directory you run it on, I would think.

Sometimes, you can't tell be looking whether a character (encoding
point, really) is one of the 7-bit US-ASCII set. But I'm just guessing.

> I have seen this behavior with other bash shell scripts I have written
> as well, but the problem is intermittent. When I Google "unicode_start"
> I can't find anyone complaining about a similar problem. It makes me
> think I have a configuration problem, but I'm not sure what it is.
>
> $ set | grep LANG
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8

UTF-8 is definitely intended to mean Unicode UTF-8.