Too many unicode_start processes

I recently posted mentioning that I was getting out of memory (oom) errors with FC4 kernels 1656 and 1831 on both x86_64 and i686 version of the kernel.

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-February/msg01112.html

I have simple Bash shell scripts (first line has #!/bin/bash) that seem to start up many unicode_start processes, but it doesn't occur every time I run the scripts. I haven't been able to figure out what triggers this behavior. The script that I believe caused the problem in my prior post is one that cleans up a source directory hierarchy.

#!/bin/bash
# Checking to see if your home directory exists.
TOP_DIR=$HOME
if test ! -d $TOP_DIR; then
 echo ERROR: Directory $TOP_DIR does not exist!
 exit
fi
# Checking to see if a source directory exists.
SOURCE_DIR=$TOP_DIR/Source
if test ! -d $SOURCE_DIR; then
 echo ERROR: Directory $SOURCE_DIR does not exist!
 exit
fi
cd $SOURCE_DIR
find . -name aclocal.m4 -exec rm {} \;
find . -name configure -exec rm {} \;
find . -name Makefile.in -exec rm {} \;
find . -depth -type d -name autom4te-2.53.cache -exec rm -rf {} \;
find . -depth -type d -name autom4te.cache -exec rm -rf {} \;

I have run this script many times since and haven't seen the problem, but every once in a while my Bash scipts start a ton of unicode_start processes. I use the system provided .bashrc.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what might cause all of the unicode start processes?

TIA,
Pete