Re: Request for Comment - OT

On Saturday 11 Feb 2006 00:55, Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
> On 2/11/06, Tony Dietrich <td@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It all depends on what the encryption system ends up as I suspect.  And
> > unfortunately, it may well also depend on the mind-set of the intended
> > end-users.
>
> In that case you will have to pitch the idea to them in such a way
> that they understand the benefits of the project being open source
> over being closed & proprietary. The group will have to tell the
> lawyers that the fact that a piece of code is open source means that
> by constant audit of several developers it remains high quality and
> not that it will be exploited more often (If security is their primary
> concern). But I'm sure your already know that.
>
> > Those of us on this list are aware that OpenSource software is as secure,
> > and often better tested, than commercial, restricted software, BUT
> > educating the end-users in the UK Legal Sector of that fact may well be
> > beyond the capabilities of this group.
>
> Educating the end user is something that has to be done by the group
> presenting the proposal. As I said in my previous statement, it's all
> about how you present it to them. IMO, an organisation looks at the
> usability of the system from their point of view. If they like it,
> they'll take it. All you have to do is to tell them in soft terms that
> the contributions to the project have to come from the open source
> community if the service has to be free of charge or low cost.
>
> > So if this service is to gain the acceptance of the intended end-users,
> > and perhaps more importantly, get the backing of those members of the
> > Judiciary who would end up needing to use it, then we may be forced to
> > take the project to a more restricted framework.
>
> I don't agree with that.
>
> > This is far from my preference, and is not actually my idea, but knowing
> > how stubborn and stuck-in-the-mud some members of this profession are, I
> > can see where that argument is coming from :-(
>
> --
> Regards
> Vivek
>
> Registered Linux User #374218
> Livin' The iLife ~ http://www.ilifenet.net
Vivek

I appreciatate your comments ... but the points you are putting forward are
the ones I've spent the last few weeks trying to hammer home to a group of
well-educated, stubborn, conservative lawyers.

Do I really have to say anything other than 'lawyers'? <grin>
As a group this lot have their hearts in the right place, and are worth
helping.  Shame about their egos.

Tony