Re: Request for Comment - OT

On Saturday 11 Feb 2006 00:31, V P wrote:
> On 2/11/06, Tony Dietrich <td@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I would like to stress that this project is not commercial and is never
> > intended to make a profit.  It may however turn out that we cannot keep
> > the project open source, because of its very nature.  It may also be the
> > case
>
> I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that the project
> cannot be kept opensource. I don't see anything that stops this from
> being under GPL.
> Please explain.
>
> --
> Regards
> Vivek
>
> Registered Linux User #374218
> Livin' The iLife ~ http://www.ilifenet.net

It all depends on what the encryption system ends up as I suspect.  And
unfortunately, it may well also depend on the mind-set of the intended
end-users.

Those of us on this list are aware that OpenSource software is as secure, and
often better tested, than commercial, restricted software, BUT educating the
end-users in the UK Legal Sector of that fact may well be beyond the
capabilities of this group.

So if this service is to gain the acceptance of the intended end-users, and
perhaps more importantly, get the backing of those members of the Judiciary
who would end up needing to use it, then we may be forced to take the project
to a more restricted framework.

This is far from my preference, and is not actually my idea, but knowing how
stubborn and stuck-in-the-mud some members of this profession are, I can see
where that argument is coming from :-(

Tony