Re: Request for Comment - OT

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 00:55 +0000, Tony Dietrich wrote:
> On Saturday 11 Feb 2006 00:49, Craig White wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 00:00 +0000, Tony Dietrich wrote:
> > > I have been asked to start a feasibility study into the provision of a
> > > particular service.  I am donating my time free of charge.
> > >
> > > A very short document outlining the background and the requirements of
> > > this service can be found at
> > >
> > > http://www.transcc.co.uk/RFCSecureConferenceService.html
> > >
> > > I would be grateful if members of this list could take a look at this
> > > document and offer their suggestions/comments.  This mailing list is not
> > > the forum for this subject, so I'd encourage anyone that is able or
> > > wiling to comment on this RFC to post to the address in the
> > > above-mentioned document.
> > >

> > > I would like to stress that this project is not commercial and is never
> > > intended to make a profit.  It may however turn out that we cannot keep
> > > the project open source, because of its very nature.  It may also be the
> > > case that in order to convince the various intended end-users of the
> > > security of the project, that the final provider of the service might be
> > > a commercial organisation, and that end-users may be asked to pay a
> > > contribution towards the upkeep of the service.
> > > It is perhaps a sad comment on today's world that there are some people
> > > out there that believe that a commercial company is somehow inherently
> > > more trustworthy than a non-profit-making organisation!
> >
> > ----
> > Windows thinking is to invent the wheel with each program.
> >
> > Linux thinking is to recycle what's available.
> >
> No arguments there
>
> > There are lots of various chat type programs available for Apache or
> > Tomcat servers that could require SSL encryption and for all purposes
> > capable of providing an encrypted, multi-user conference - some probably
> > with file exchange too...I'm not gonna bother researching it.
> >
> Encryption isn't the problem per se .. authentication via a method that can
> gain acceptance by end-users that are by their very nature highly sceptical
> of anything IT-related is the problem.

----
umm...a web browser...people do that every day - get online with credit
card companies, banks, do transfers, transactions, check balances. If
they trust their browser to do SSL with their money, they will trust it
to handle conversations.

I could probably set this up in less than 3 hours with ruby on
rails...and I am just learning it.

Craig