Re: Corrupt Superblock on /home

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, James Wilkinson wrote:

Nancy Merckle wrote:
I tried "mount /dev/hdb1 -vt ext3 /mnt/hdb1" and got

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb1,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

<snip>
I can't remember the command I used next, but I wound up getting the
result of a "bad magic number in superblock"

You might like to investigate
mount -vt ext3 -o sb=131072 /dev/hdb1 /misc/
which should use an alternative superblock.

Bless you James!

I still have problems with the disk, but I should be able to get the critical data moved to a different drive and then I can reformat the drive, and I've decided to make the partitions smaller so if I do ever need to rescue stuff I can do it in smaller chunks.

Whew...

Nancy

nancym@xxxxxxxxx  ..... (future) http://www.charm.net/~nancym/
The Kitties Page  ...........  http://members.aol.com/Mysnats/