Corrupt Superblock on /home

Hi,

I still haven't been able to boot up my FC4 box, beyond repair mode without a live distro CD. The attempt gave me errors on /home with something along the lines of (from my notes):
	Buffer I/O error on device hdb1
	/dev/hdb1 reaad failed after 0 of 2048 at 0
	No Volume group found

Using the live distro, I was able to determine that all of hdba will mount (except hdba3 which is swap space) along with hdb2, my /data directory. All mounted and I could see the files on /dev/hda1 (/boot), /dev/hda2 (/1), /dev/hda4 (/data1), /dev/sda1 (usb drive) and /dev/hdb2 (/data). The plan was to have OS files on hda and most/all data on hdb so that if the OS disk got hosed data wouldn't be lost.

I tried "mount /dev/hdb1 -vt ext3 /mnt/hdb1" and got

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb1,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

root@2[root]# dmesg | tail
Buffer I/O error on device hdb1, logical block 7
hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=63, high=0,
low=63, sector=63
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 63
FAT: unable to read boot sector
hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=65, high=0,
low=65, sector=65
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdb, sector 65
EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock

I can't remember the command I used next, but I wound up getting the result of a "bad magic number in superblock"

When I went back to repair mode, the file system start up gives clean report on /1, /boot, /data and /data1.

I tried e3fsck, e2fsck with both the -cc and -t options followed by similar commands with plain fsck. This last try at fsck -t ext3 /dev/hdb1 gave me "Attempt to read block from file system resulting in short read while trying to open /dev/hdb1. Could this be a zero-length partition? I've even tried these commands on /dev/hdb and all I got was a little longer wait time before the bad news.

I'm getting to the end of everything I can think of to do. My next bright idea is to try to change the partition names from /data1 to /home and making hdb1 /<something else> to verify that the OS is still working and perhaps get me back and running (although at a diminished capacity) while I learn and research. I've even toyed with the idea of installing windoze on the /data1 drive to see if I could get some sort of windoze disk data rescue software to retreive what I could of hdb1. Unless there has been some magic discovery of a software retrival package for linux since the last time it was discussed on this list.

Can someone please help me save my /home directory or is it totally hosed?

Thanks,

Nancy

nancym@xxxxxxxxx  ..... (future) http://www.charm.net/~nancym/
The Kitties Page  ...........  http://members.aol.com/Mysnats/