Re: Slightly OT: Must Linux buy its way onto the desktop?

taharka wrote:
On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 13:26 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:

taharka wrote:

Feb. 08, 2006

As you may know, Google is close to making a deal with Dell in which the
search giant will get to preinstall its software package on Dell PCs.
What you may not know is that Google may be spending a billion dollars
over three years for the privilege.

Why should I care? (This is a serious question, not irony.)

Ever try walking into Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, Staples, etc. &
inquiring about purchasing a computer/computers with Linux
pre-installed? Better yet, ask about getting you-know-what/who's OS
taken off & replaced with Linux without still paying for
you-know-what/who's OS that won't be used :-(( Nuff said ;-)

Actually, I don't believe that this is enough said. It doesn't
convince me. First, I haven't removed WinXP from the machine
I bought. I just added Linux. What you just wrote sounds like more
"I hate MicroSoft" again. And I don't hate MicroSoft.

If I were in your situation, I would build up a machine.
The "package deals" at the places you mention are not the best
way to go to get a machine with exactly what I want on it,
anyway. In that case, I'd have a blank disc to start with.

But another reply had a more convincing argument.

For myself, the more that is available "off the shelf" the better,
and I like competition.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.