Re: Slightly OT: Must Linux buy its way onto the desktop?

On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 13:26 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> taharka wrote:
> > Feb. 08, 2006
> >
> > As you may know, Google is close to making a deal with Dell in which the
> > search giant will get to preinstall its software package on Dell PCs.
> > What you may not know is that Google may be spending a billion dollars
> > over three years for the privilege.
>
> Why should I care? (This is a serious question, not irony.)
>
> > Full story at; http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS2572482759.html
> >

> [QUOTE MODE ON]
>
> What does that have to do with Linux? Everything.
>
> Microsoft may say that what ends up on the desktop is all about having
> the best products, but that's hooey. I don't say that as a Linux
> supporter, I say that as someone who knows how the desktop market works.
> Most users, I'd say 80 percent, stick with what comes on their desktop.
> Period.
>
> I know this. Microsoft knows this. Everyone in the desktop business
> knows this, even though we may disagree on the exact numbers.
>
> So, the real way to win the desktop, as I've long said, is to get Linux
> on it before a user ever sees it.
>
> [QUOTE MODE OFF]
>

> Is "winning the desktop" (whatever that may be) a goal? For me?
>
> I guess I just don't understand the big picture or sth. This just
> looks like more "I hate MicroSoft" propaganda than anything worthwhile.
>
> Could someone explain why this is important?
----
it isn't important.

Why are we having this discussion on Fedora list?

This is about Linux - At some point, the computer manufacturers like
Dell are going to actually ***want*** to sell computers pre-installed
with Linux. The market will ultimately decide. Let's move on

Craig