Re: Desperate situation

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Anne Wilson wrote:

> My main workstation is awaiting its turn to move to FC4, and was running
> Mandriva.  I now find that I cannot boot from the primary drive at all.  It
> looks as though something desperate has happened to the MBR, where lilo
> lived.
>
> Checking my data backup, I find that I have missed a whole, vitally important,
> directory.  I need to get that data to a safe place before trying anything in
> the way of rescue.
>
> I have got knoppix 3.2 up and can see the files.  I've got a pen-drive mounted
> as root, but can't copy the files onto it.  Trying
> cp /mnt/hde7/anne/Gnucash/ /mnt/sde	gets
> cp: omitting directory /mnt/hde7/anne/Gnucash/
<<snip>>

I'm sure somebody will respond more completely, but as I recall Knoppix,
all drives are first mounted r/o. You need to remount them r/w before
attempting a copy operation to them. It is also possible that you need to
sudo also, I'm not sure.

Hope this helps, or somebody who knows better steps in.

If you think Education is expensive
Try Ignorance
                   Author Unknown