Re: Slightly OT: Must Linux buy its way onto the desktop?

Temlakos wrote:
Mike McCarty wrote:

taharka wrote:

[some stuff about "winning the desktop"]

Could someone explain why this is important?

Mike

I'll try to explain.

If we ever expect to quit having our local CIO's roll their eyes at us when we say that we want /Linux/ desktops and /Linux/ client machines, because we know that Linux will cost the company much less overall than buying a bunch of Windows boxes, then we'll need some more attractive options than:

Ok, you want to use Linux at work, and don't want to do any
work to convince the company it's worthwhile. Ok. For that
situation, though, I suspect that Solaris is a better deal
for a company.

[snip]

Sure, CIO's often mis-compute Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) by looking only at short-term, up-front inconveniences and extra work. Sure, if they could see ahead to all the times that our computers /wouldn't/ be down, because of the virus that /wouldn't/ get started, they's think differently.

But the job will still be a lot easier when the hardware vendors offer to pre-install Linux--and better yet, the distribution of /our/ choice--on a bunch of computers that a given company might purchase all at once.

Ok, again, a Sun workstation with Solaris sounds like a better
overall deal to me. But I now see a point.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.