Re: Wireless network sharing

John Pierce wrote:
and the
WRT54G has the capabily of isolating clients from each other. Note this
does _not_ prevent snooping with software such as Kismet.

I have been trying to assist a friend with his WRT54G and I think the
wireless side has no way of connecting to the wired side of the
switch.

He has windows xp on a desktop with an HP printer attached, no matter
what I do I cannot get the laptop to connect the the share, heck it
doesn't even see it.  If I plug the laptop in with a wire then all is
find, kind of defeats the purpose of being wireless.

I brought his laptop home and let it connect to my dlink DI524 and it
saw and connected to my samba shares and even printed to my epson
CX6600.

I have yet to find a setting in the WRT54G that will enable the
wireless to wired connections.

Don't plug anything into the WAN port (unless it's your DSL modem).

This shows the back of the device:
http://seattlewireless.net/~mattw/photos/linksyswrt54g/gallery/resized/IMG_3389.JPG

The single RJ45 connector is for connexion to an ADSL modem: you can connect it to a LAN, but the default configuration is to use NAT so the router and its clients all appear at a single IP address. Everything plugged into the other four RJ45 connectors and the wireless clients all appear as a single/24 network.

It really should just work. Reread the instructions, reset the device and start again.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait