Re: Problems following a non-gracefull shutdown

James Wilkinson wrote:
John Summerfied wrote:

What filesystem are you using? ext2/ext3 are supposed to handle this pretty well and it's a very long time since I had a problem with them. OTOH some others (and I don't want to cast nasturtiums) have less stellar reputations.

In any event, booting your rescue CD and running a filesystem check is a good start. I'm a little torn about recommending a read-only check - it sounds conservative, but it won't fix the problem. OTOH, a rw test (necessary to fix it) also has the possibility to make it worse.

I understand that there is no such thing as a read only check (or even a
read-only mount) with ext3fs although if you know what you're doing,
you *can* mount it as ext2fs "really-read-only".

e2fsck -n

Roy didn't what filesystem he's using, the rest of can either speculate or resist the temptation.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait