Re: Bridging wifi to ethernet

On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 15:28, Douglas Phillipson wrote:

> >>The magic  part I don't know how to do is "route and NAT".  Can you
> >>point me to an example on how to route and NAT between interfaces?  Is
> >>this a IPTables thing?
> >

> > You just need to:
> >  modprobe iptable_nat
> >  iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j MASQUERADE
> >  echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
> >
> > And make sure any other firewalling lets what you need through.
> > You should get a default route via dhcp on the wireless side
> > and one will be added by the netmask for your private wired
> > side so you don't need to add any extra routes.
> >

> My wifi interface is eth1 and will pull an address from the library,
> wired is eth0.  Do I give my eth0 interface a 192.168.0.x address?

It can be anything except in the range you get on the 'outside'
interface.  192.168.0.x is pretty common so you might have
a problem if the library uses private addresses too.  Something
like 192.168.232.1 for your eth0 might be less likely to
collide.  You can use a netmask of 255.255.255.0 and give out
the range of 192.168.232.2 - 192.168.232.254 via dhcp.  Your
'inside' address should be the default router for the dhcp
clients, and if you are running a  DNS server it can be their
dns also.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx