Re: Bridging wifi to ethernet

Les Mikesell wrote:

A simpler approach that is also more likely to work would be
to set up a different private address range on the wired side
and a dhcp server for it, then route and NAT to the wireless
interface.   The only tricky part is that you either have
to run your own caching dns server and point the dhcp clients
to it, or you'll have to pick up the DNS server you receive
from the wireless DHCP and edit your dhcpd.conf to pass that
on to the clients.

The magic part I don't know how to do is "route and NAT". Can you point me to an example on how to route and NAT between interfaces? Is this a IPTables thing?

You just need to:
 modprobe iptable_nat
 echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

And make sure any other firewalling lets what you need through.
You should get a default route via dhcp on the wireless side
and one will be added by the netmask for your private wired
side so you don't need to add any extra routes.

My wifi interface is eth1 and will pull an address from the library, wired is eth0. Do I give my eth0 interface a 192.168.0.x address?

Thanks

Doug P