Re: Bridging wifi to ethernet

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 13:58, Douglas Phillipson wrote:

My LUG recently had to move to a Library with WIFI access only. Running FC4 on my HP Pavilion laptop, how specifically, can I bridge my WIFI interface (eth1) over to my eth0 interface so I can hook in all the wired ethernet users to get access to the WIFI networks DHCP server? I don't have to recompile a Kernel I hope... I can still use my laptop normally while I'm bridging for everyone else I hope?

You just need to:
 modprobe iptable_nat
 echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

And make sure any other firewalling lets what you need through.
You should get a default route via dhcp on the wireless side
and one will be added by the netmask for your private wired
side so you don't need to add any extra routes.

I got it working!  Thanks for the idea of NAT.

Here is how it works:

 eth0 = LAN interface
 eth1 = WIFI interface

 Ran:
 iptables --flush
 iptables --table nat --flush
 iptables --delete-chain
 iptables --table nat --delete-chain
iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface eth1 -j MASQUERADE
 iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface eth0 -j ACCEPT
 echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

 Then I brought up LAN interface eth0 on 192.168.10.1

Used webmin to start a dhcp server listening on eth0 with a scope of 192.168.10.50 to 192.168.10.80, A default router of 192.168.10.1 DNS server of 24.234.0.5 (COX). Then brought up a second PC hooked to a switch on the same net as eth0 of my laptop using dhcp and it pulled an address (192.168.10.50) from the dhcp server and it seems to work fine routing over the wifi interface.

So my WIFI eth1 pulls an address from my Linksys firewall, all the LAN machines pull an address from the dhcp server on the laptop.

Seems to work good. I need to document this in the even that I'm not at a meeting (likely if we continue at the Library).

There was one little glitch I ran into with PC's on the LAN. If they had previously had a static address there is some residual stuff that needs to get deleted, the default router and DNS addressed in the file:

/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0

When you switch to DHCP and request an address, if there is already a statically assigned default gateway, the new one from dhcp doesn't get set properly. It's easy to fix but you just have to know what's wrong when the gateway doesn't get set properly.

Regards

Doug P