Re: Bridging wifi to ethernet

On 5 Feb 2006 at 14:19, Les Mikesell wrote:

From:           	Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx>
To:             	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date sent:      	Sun, 05 Feb 2006 14:19:53 -0600
Subject:        	Re: Bridging wifi to ethernet
Send reply to:  	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe>

> > > A simpler approach that is also more likely to work would be
> > > to set up a different private address range on the wired side
> > > and a dhcp server for it, then route and NAT to the wireless
> > > interface.   The only tricky part is that you either have
> > > to run your own caching dns server and point the dhcp clients
> > > to it, or you'll have to pick up the DNS server you receive
> > > from the wireless DHCP and edit your dhcpd.conf to pass that
> > > on to the clients.
> > >

> > The magic  part I don't know how to do is "route and NAT".  Can you
> > point me to an example on how to route and NAT between interfaces?  Is
> > this a IPTables thing?
>
> You just need to:
>  modprobe iptable_nat
>  iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j MASQUERADE
>  echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>
> And make sure any other firewalling lets what you need through.
> You should get a default route via dhcp on the wireless side
> and one will be added by the netmask for your private wired
> side so you don't need to add any extra routes.

You might also want to look at running a squid proxy server on the machine,
and have the clients use it. That way if you are going to the same sites, you
won't be downloading multiply copies of all the materials.

> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx
>

> --