Re: A question about procmailrc

From: "Hongwei Li" <hongwei@xxxxxxxxx>

I added LINEBUF=2048 at the top of my .procmailrc, but does not change the
situation.

I was using squirrelmail to tet, then, I tried pine with the subject line as:

123456789 223456789 ... 62345is out of the office

the .procmailrc does not work.  If I use

123456789 223456789 ... 6234is out of the office

then, it works.  That is, in pine 67 chars are okay, 68 chars are too long for
it. So, it seems that it also depends on what I use to compose the email. Probably, the tool (squirrelmail or pine) wrapped the subject line according
to its own rule (probably squirrelmail is 65 chars, pine is 67 chars).  Once
the subject line is wrapped, it adds extra char(s) in between "of" and "the",
then it does not match.  So, I tried:

* ^Subject:.*is.*out.*of.*the

then, it works for all cases.  But, it seems that it is not always safe. It
may filter some normal emails?

Hongwei

OK, Hongwei. Have you tried the following four lines below yet?

===8<---

:0 c:
$HOME/mailclone

===8<---

Run it with one file that fails. Then let's see what is in mailclone
verbatim.

It appears that what Bob Nichols indicated is indeed the case. The line is
getting split, somewhere, at some point near 64 to 67 lines. Your job is to
locate where that is happening. Look at the raw outgoing data from Squirrel
mail. (Capture it with tcpdump.) Let's see if the problem SOURCE is in the
mailers or in the procmail setup.

Note that you CAN run procmail standalone. I believe "procmail <testfile"
will work. (If not check on flags that might be needed.) If that is true
then feed it a file that has the entire subject on one long line. If that
works then the problem is not in the procmail setup. If it fails then you
MAY have trouble with other long procmail rules and should find why it is
breaking the line.

{^_^}