Re: A question about procmailrc

> Hongwei Li wrote:
>> A correction:  from the beginnig of the subject line to the last searching
>> letter should not exceed 65 chars. For example, suppose the subject line is
>>
>> Acccc Bnnnn ..... Hhhhhh is out of the office
>>
>> and the matching string is "is out of the", then if the count from A (the
>> first letter of the subject line) to e (the last letter of the matching
>> string) is longer than 65, say 66, then the procmailrc does not function.
>> Then, remove any one letter before "is out...", it works.
>>
>> Everybody can try it to see if that is the case.
>>
>> Is there anyway to lift this limit?  Since Lotus Notes may add very long and
>> strang things in the subject line, it will be very usefull to lift this
>> limit
>> to 80 chars long or so.
>
> That limit just sounds terribly unlikely.  The default LINEBUF is
> 2048, and it cannot be set smaller than 128.  I wonder if Lotus
> Notes is actually word-wrapping the long subject line, e.g.:
>
>     Subject: Aaa Bbbb Ccc/Xxxx Yyy/Zzzz Dddd/Eeee is out of the
>              office.
>
> If your email client reassembles the split line you might not be
> aware of the split.  Procmail does reassemble the split line, but
> it's possible that whitespace is being mishandled.  Procmail's
> manpage has a noteabout a problem with the embedded newlines in
> continued headers.  Try adding a '+' sign after each space
> character in your matcher and see if that helps.
>
> --
> Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.

No, this time it is not Lotus Notes issue.  I sent the test email myself from
one FC4 system using squirrelmail to another FC3 system, and manually typed
the

Aaaaa Bbbbb Ccccc....Hhhhh Iiiii Jiiii is out of the office

in the suject line. I found if the total length is 65 or less, procmail works,
if longer than 65, it does not function.

Hope more people test it e.g. enter the subject like:

123456789 123456789 12...... is out of the office

to see what happen.

Hongwei