Re: A question about procmailrc

> From: "Hongwei Li" <hongwei@xxxxxxxxx>

>> So, the Re: and [Fwd: in the subject line makes the code in procmailrc not
>> working.  Why?
>
> Good question. "It's procmail" comes to mind. It might be this sort of
> thing that has people down on procmail.
>
> ^Subject:.*:*.*is out of the office
>
> I wonder if that one will work. Zero or more characters, zero or more colons,
> another zero or more characters, then the real string.
>
> One thing that comes to mind with Re: and Fwd: is that the actual message
> is placed inside mime quoting. So there might be two Subject lines present
> and that confuses things.

Thanks for many people's help.  I did extensive tests again and here are the
summary.

OS: FC3 (I also tested my FC4 system, the situation is the same), sendmail
8.13.1-2

Part of my .procmailrc related to this problem:

SHELL=/bin/bash
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
VERBOSE=off
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail
SENDMAIL=/usr/sbin/sendmail

# test1:
:0:
* ^Subject:.*is out of the.*
$MAILDIR/Junk

:0:
* ^Subject:.*DELIVERY FAILURE.*
$MAILDIR/Junk

#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ end ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Junk is the "mail folder" under mail/ as Trash -- I tried both, the same.

I use the junk emails received earlier for testing, either reply or forward.
Here are the results.

For the subject line:

DELIVERY FAILURE...
or
Re: DELIVERY FAILURE...
or
[Fwd: DELIVERY FAILURE...

My .procmailrc put the mail in Junk -- working.

For the subject line:

Aaa Bbb/Cccc Ddd/Eee Fffff is out of the office...

The mail goes to Junk -- working normally.

For the subject line:

Re: Aaa Bbb/Cccc Ddd/Eee Fffff is out of the office...
or
[Fwd: Aaa Bbb/Cccc Ddd/Eee Fffff is out of the office...

the mail goes to inbox -- .procmailrc does not function.

I also tried:

etc. The situation remains the same.

Conclusion: the part "Aaa Bbb/Cccc Ddd/Eee Fffff" causes procmail not working
properly on mails with Re: or [Fwd: at the beginning of the subject line.

I know that most of Internet emails don't have that part in the subject line.
It is Lotus Notes's bug, but Lotus Notes does not admit it.  Then, we have to
deal with it.  Any idea?

Thanks!

Hongwei