Re: Slightly OT: Photoshop tops 'most wanted' Linux app list

On Friday 03 February 2006 11:46 am, Guy Fraser wrote:
> It seems to me there are some more refined selection tools, and some
> better cloning type tools. Also support for 16 bit colour depths
> (48/64 bit colours) would be nice, my scanner supports it but for
> my non professional needs 8 bit colour depths (24 bit colour) is OK.

You've hit on the main points. In a Television Production environment each of
those points are a very BIG deal, especially bit depth. If you ever have to
work with gradients in a broadcast environment, you'll know what I mean.

I can't say I'm a Gimp master, but, another thing I just never figured out was
moving selections around. In PS, you make a rectangular selection; before you
do something with it, you can nudge it around, grab it, use keys, whatever -
refine your selection; in Gimp, once you make a rectangular selection, for
instance, attempts to move it move the selected portion of the image, not
just the selection box - if you don't get the selection right, you have to
deselect and try again - maybe there's a way to do this I haven't found, but,
if so, it should be made more intuitive.

Another area: Actions. Perhaps they are easy to set up in Gimp, but if so,
it's not intuitive. If I want to resize 150 images, or perform a set of
operations on all of them identically, I can record the sequence of actions
as a macro in PS, and then apply that macro to an entire set of images.

There's work needed on the text tools - it's just klunky right now, without
going into great detail.

Those are some things that come to mind - all that said, I'm pleased with the
work that's being done. Check out Cinepaint and Krita for other interesting
tools of the genre.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA