Re: Slightly OT: Photoshop tops 'most wanted' Linux app list

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 12:20 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> I can't say I'm a Gimp master, but, another thing I just never figured
> out was moving selections around. In PS, you make a rectangular
> selection; before you do something with it, you can nudge it around,
> grab it, use keys, whatever - refine your selection; in Gimp, once you
> make a rectangular selection, for instance, attempts to move it move
> the selected portion of the image, not just the selection box - if you
> don't get the selection right, you have to deselect and try again -
> maybe there's a way to do this I haven't found, but, if so, it should
> be made more intuitive.

Yes, I've struggled with that, too.  At times I've found something that
let me easily deselect the area so I could make another selection, but I
never seem to recall the trick, and have to faff around discovering what
I did the next time.  Currently, clicking outside of the boundary of the
selected region seems to cancel the selection.  Not something that I
call intuitive.

For what it's worth, the last time I used PhotoShop (years ago), I found
it equally as awkward.  Neither of them lend themselves to doodling
creatively on the computer (like ye olde Amiga DPaint or PPaint
programs), you've got to fiddle around like mad for the most basic of
things.

I read messages from the public lists.