Re: system stops after logging out: fixed

Tim:
>>> You could also try just doing a telinit 3 or 1 in there, instead of
>>> poweroff, if you want to see whether quitting the GUI without going as
>>> far as shutting down shows up where a problemm is.

Gerhard Magnus
>> This is a neat diagnostic tool!
>> When I do a teleinit 3 the first message is:
>> PuteA login: FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq
>> (/lib/modules/2.6.14-1.1656_FC4/kernel/aaarch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko): No such device

>From what I understand, this is nothing to worry about.  It's trying to
do something that it's not able to, and doesn't *have* to, and fails in
the attempt.

>> Then I get normal-looking service start-up lines (with an OK at the end
>> of each) for pcmcia, irqbalance, lmsensors, and anacron.  Then the
>> system hangs.

Usually, the last thing you see is what you want to test out.  Though I
doubt anacron is the problem, you could try individually starting and
stopping it.  But a hang (or very long wait) at that point, or to do
with starting X could indicate a name resolution issue.

>> Again, my specific problem occurs in logging off from KDE using the GUI.
>> The system hangs before the login screen comes up.

> I fixed this by loading the second most recent kernel
> (2.6.11.1.1369_FC4) instead of the most recent kernel
> (2.6.14-1.1656_FC4) from the Grub menu.  A lucky guess -- does anyone
> have any idea as to why this worked?  For example, what does the
> difference between "1369_FC4" and "1656_FC4" mean in the name of a
> kernel?

I can only say to read the release notes for it.  I don't know the
specific differences between them.  I can say that I don't have problems
using Gnome with them.  I don't have KDE on my system.  You could try
seeing whether you get a hang if you were using Gnome instead of KDE (or
any other-than-KDE window manager), as a quick test.

I read messages from the public lists.