Re: system stops after logging out

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 21:59 -0800, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> My FC4 system hangs in that interval after logging off (or shutting
> down) from KDE but before the Fedora login screen comes on.  I can
> move a cursor around with the mouse on the blank screen but get no
> response from clicking it, or from hitting anything on the keyboard.
> So, the reset button -- after which a command-line login appears and
> there's a normal-looking shutdown.  The re-boot and login look normal.
>
> Is there some other way of logging off (or shutting) down that might
> give me a clue as to what's happening?
>
> I suspect a USB-related hardware issue but don't know for sure.

What about the reset button?  Something appears to be missing from the
sentence.

One chance to see where the problem might be is to switch over to a text
console (e.g. CTRL+ALT+1), log in as root, then issue the poweroff
command and watch the sequence of events.

You could also try just doing a telinit 3 or 1 in there, instead of
poweroff, if you want to see whether quitting the GUI without going as
far as shutting down shows up where a problemm is.

I read messages from the public lists.