Re: YumEx problem

Claude Jones wrote:
On Thursday 19 January 2006 3:56 pm, Robin Laing wrote:

Using yumex 0.44, I have the ability to remove under the remove icon
on the left of the screen.

Guess you missed my followup - you're right - it was staring me in the face...

Under Repos, I can select what repos I want to use and save that
profile for quick changes.  I normally just use the fedora repos but
every once in a while, I check the rest for updates.  I enable most if
I am looking for something particular.  Change the selected repos and
then press the Refresh button.

I have profiles set up, myself. I pretty much operate the way you describe. My big objection was the extremely long time it took to do whatever it did at the outset. Anne reported 18 minutes on her system, before Yumex was ready to do something. In this mornings test, it took over 5 minutes on my system. After doing what Tim suggested, we both have experienced greatly reduced startup times. I still hope for more functionality in the window listings. I would like to see a list that includes everything that's available, including what's installed on my system (marked so), for any given set of repos. When installing packages from source, which I do a lot, because packages aren't available for FC4, it makes it very easy to check for dependency availablity, and what might be entailed if a package containing a dependency is installed. On my agenda is to learn how to make rpm packages from source, but I must wait for some time to devote to that.

In the past, I have used checkinstall to install most homemade compiles. This creates an rpm of the package and then you install the rpm. Now the package works like a normal RPM.

I find that most applications I am looking for I can find from one of the many repositories. But then comes the issues with how they make their packages. Some have some weird requirements that I don't like and in the past I have come to avoid those repositories.

I do agree that the interface needs cleaning. It would be nice if there were three selection columns for updates, install and remove, which were all sortable. But until that date...

I find that 5 minutes is normal. I find that most of the time is determining the mirror to use. I have to play with it as our IT department has setup some local mirrors.

Yumex is still better than having to get a full list via CLI and then sorting it out.