Re: YumEx problem

Claude Jones wrote:
On Thursday 19 January 2006 10:44 am, Tim Lauridsen wrote:

1. Try installing the latest yumex devel from fedora-Extras.
(You will need to install yum 2.5.x from development)

2. Disable 'Filelist & Changelog' from preferences

3. Enable 'Best' Mirror detection in preferences.

4. Enable 'Debug Mode' in Preferences to get more output.

Tim

Tim:

Allow me to jump back in: I tried your suggestions, and they have made a big difference. In fact, on several tests just now, Yumex was much faster than KYum.
A few comments/suggestions:
People do package management in different ways. My style is to keep my base enabled repos only those closest to the Fedora project; base, updates-released, extras, and livna, with the addition of the KDE-Redhat repos; when I want something else, I have a number of repos ready to be quickly enabled - I enable those for the one task, and then disable - I do this a lot, however. I like the fact that KYum allows you to disable automatic checking on startup, select your repos by whichever method (profile or individually enabling), then click on the "List Available" button. Turning off automatic checking on startup in Yumex prefs seemed to take me nowhere. There was no way I could find to susequently list updates or available packages manually - did I miss something?

A feature request: I know this is not the necessarily right place, but maybe others will have a comment. The thing I really liked about Synaptic's interface was that you could list all in one window - packages that were available, installed, and upgradeable, could all be seen in the one window. That makes all kinds of things easier and/or possible. Far as I know, there is no "Remove" function in Yumex - correct me if I'm wrong...

Well, there's more I could say, but, maybe it's already too much. Your package is definitely getting better - thanks for the work.

Using yumex 0.44, I have the ability to remove under the remove icon on the left of the screen.

Under Repos, I can select what repos I want to use and save that profile for quick changes. I normally just use the fedora repos but every once in a while, I check the rest for updates. I enable most if I am looking for something particular. Change the selected repos and then press the Refresh button.