RE: Query disk write-caching settings

Dave Irving Wrote:

> Hi,

> Could anyone tell me if it is possible to query the current disk-write
cache
> settings being employed? Im getting some suspiciously fast file
synching
> going on and Im wondering whether this is the "cause" :o)

Hmmm....
I couldn't work out how to query it, so I had a go at just setting it
explicitly instead:

hdparm -W 0 /dev/hda
- /dev/hda:
- setting drive write-caching to 0 (off)
- HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(setcache) failed: Input/output error

Could any one tell me why this is likely to fail?
If its any help, I also got the -i output from hdparm:

hdparm -I /dev/had
-/dev/hda:
-Model=TSSTcorpCD-ROM TS-L162C, FwRev=N203, SerialNo=
-Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
-RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
-BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
-(maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
-IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:482,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
-PIO modes:  pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
-DMA modes:  mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
-UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2
-AdvancedPM=no