Re: news reader

Tim wrote:
On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 13:23 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

But _why_ do people think Thunderbird or Pan
is better than KNode, which comes with KDE?

Simply saying "I like Pan" is not much help.

It's been a while since I tried out different clients, and when I tried
out KNode I found it painful.  So here goes for comments about the
others:

Both of them just plain sucked at handling messages with files attached,
compared to using something like Agent.  Using Agent, you could hop into
some newsgroup with fan pictures from a TV show, for instance, select a
group of messages, fetch them, and the attachments would end up in your
downloads folder - no further action required of you.  It could even
automatically put back together large multi-part messages.  On the other
hand, other clients require you to go into each message and individually
save out each attachment.  Some are a right pain to deal with multi-part
messages.

It may have been some time since you used Pan but I use it almost daily. I was concerned when I heard that Pan was not included in FC4 core. I was happy to see it in extras.

Pan puts the saved attachments where I tell it to as any other reader that I have used.

I use Pan for binary downloads because it now works so well with multi-part messages. It will even put together segments of *.rar multipart rar files, even if part 2 or a 100 part message is missing. This makes it much easier to recover using the PAR2 files.

If I look in a directory and there are 100 files or a multipart message that covers multiple files that are each multiple parts, I select the first one, scroll down to the last one and press shift and select the last one. Shift S and the download/saving starts.

It will also mark messages in other folders as read if they are cross posted. I understand that this is supposed to work across servers as well but I have not tried it yet.

My only complaint with Pan is uploading is not easy for multipart messages.