RE: news reader

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 09:18 -0500, Michael D. Berger wrote:
> So far, I have tried KNode and Pan.  I chose Pan
> because it provided a tree structure for the saved
> messages, while KNode did not.  On the other hand,
> Pan does not provide a tree structure for the
> folders of the saved messages.

One thing I dislike about Pan is the inability to "keep" a message.
Other online/offline clients let you mark some messages to be kept.
They're kept in their original place, in the newsgroup, where you can
find them again, easily.  Just saving messages as individual files is a
crude method, and copying messages into other folders (like a mailbox)
isn't much better.

Another was related to thread watching:  In other clients I can set it
to watch any thread that I've responded to.  From then on, all replies
to my branch of the thread are watched.  Other branches to the prior
replies aren't, though (which is good, I can ignore/watch them
independently from when I interjected).

One thing I like to do, that Pan supports, is caching a few days of read
articles, but only showing the last couple of days in the lists.
There's less clutter to wade through, but I can find an older post
quickly enough if I want to.  Unfortunately I can't do that by default,
I always have to switch on my "recent" posts filter.

I read messages from the public lists.