Re: Batch creating linux accounts

On Tuesday, January 17, 2006 9:56 AM -0500 Stéphane Bruno <sbruno@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Can you be more specific? I am planning to offer the service to a local
ISP, but I never did this before. Can you point me to some resources
where I can find information about the more professional way to create
and maintain a high number of accounts under Linux for email accounts for
an ISP, the industry standard? Are you talking about using NIS or some
other kind of centralized information management for accounts? And how do
you "import" the accounts along with their password (the ISP has a system
running on Windows and will probably export its existing accounts under a
format which I can import into Linux).

Check out the Samba documentation for the Examples document. I'm starting to look at that and it looks like it might have some useful LDAP info.

Is the ISP storing the passwords in cleartext? I hope not, but if they're enciphered, you'll need some way to either use the existing method of encryption or a way to get the userbase to re-enter their passwords with the new one.

Are you just supplying email, or are you also supplying web and shell space? If it's just email, you might not need local accounts, and might be able to use a more monolithic email system with its own separate account system. I think Cyrus works like that.