Re: Is this real or spam

On 1/17/06, Gregory Pittman <gpittman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

>> Is the message below real or spam.
>>

> Yes, it's real. I want I can't e-mail the whole list at once, because then
> it winds up unread in people's "pile of mailing lists that never get
> read", and it's also harder to track who has responded from the sample.
>
> If you don't care one way or another, you're free to disgregard it. I just
> hate criticism that Fedora is not open or transparent enough, so when I
> saw a chance to ask people's opinions, I jumped on it. Sorry if anyone was
> offended.

In much the same way I'd rather not have Elliot call me at home or show
up on my front door, I rather not have messages like this sent to me
separate from the list. I didn't sign up to the list to suggest that
anyone on the list, whether they are part of the Fedora organization or
not, use my personal address in this manner. If some private company fed
the list addresses into their computer and sent solicitations for
donations, I would be unhappy and wish I hadn't joined the list -- this
was not part of the agreement.
I think the proper place for something like this is on one of the
several official Fedora pages, which presumably most of us read. The
problem with this kind of message is that it is impossible to
distinguish from spam or a scam, so it ends up being more internet
noise. Even if on the up-and-up, it makes no particular point, comes to
no particular conclusion, and therefore is a waste of time to read.

Greg

What if he did that and 75% of people simply do not read it as it doesn't stand out, or skim through their mailing list box seeing it as a question they cannot answer?