Re: Batch creating linux accounts

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 09:56 -0500, Stéphane Bruno wrote:
> Can you be more specific? I am planning to offer the service to a
> local ISP, but I never did this before. Can you point me to some
> resources where I can find information about the more professional way
> to create and maintain a high number of accounts under Linux for email
> accounts for an ISP, the industry standard? Are you talking about
> using NIS or some other kind of centralized information management for
> accounts? And how do you "import" the accounts along with their
> password (the ISP has a system running on Windows and will probably
> export its existing accounts under a format which I can import into
> Linux).
----
personally, I would recommend the usage of LDAP over NIS. NIS is aging
technology and LDAP is rapidly expanding.

anyway, the best way I know of to do mass importing is via webmin
<http://www.webmin.com>

Their 'Users and Groups' module and in fact their LDAP Users and Groups
module both have a mass import action already scripted.

Craig