Re: Support for MPEG

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 01:58 +0530, Tamal Kanti Nath wrote:
> Why MPEG based softwares or plugins are not supported by Fedora ?
> When I am trying to install Mplayer and XINE from RPM both suffers for
> missing library. Where can I download those libraries ?
> Are there any plugins that can be added to fedora core audio and video
> programs ?

Fedora Core is built from free and open source software. For legal and
philosophical reasons the base Fedora Core installation does not include
software that is patent encumbered, non-free or otherwise proprietary.
However third party repositories do supply such software (including
mplayer, xine, and mpeg players) which will run on Fedora Core. See
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html for
instructions about installing some of this additional software.

Stanton Finley
http://stanton-finley.net/