Re: lvm lvrename on Fedora Core 4

Robert L Cochran wrote:

Jim Cornette wrote:

Robert L Cochran wrote:

On my shiny new FC4 system, mount reports this device to be mounted
on root "/":

/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00

And I assume that this is most of my hard drive except for /boot
(which is /dev/sda1) and swap. Would renaming this with 'lvm
lvrename' offer me any benefit? For example rename it to

/dev/mapper/VolGroup05-LogVol10

My previous FC4 system has an LVM spanning 2 physical disks and it is
going to be truly inconvenient to mount these disks on my current
system and get at the contents of the data on them. I've forgotten to
back up several important files to a DVD before doing a hardware
upgrade that includes using only one Great Big Hard Drive, and I'm
feeling the pain.

So would renaming my current LVM make it easier to get my old drives
(which are currently sitting around unused) mounted and accessible?

Thanks

Bob Cochran

I would try this myself to rename the lvm. I believe there are also volume labels for / and swap on your lvm. Since I am by no means an expert on lvm usage, I checked to see if by chance there was a list dedicated to lvm usage on Linux. There is a list.

Renaming the lvm to not confict with existing volumes. Relabeling the volumes to /oldroot or something similar is what seems needed. It is great that my advise did not end up in dataloss for you yet. See if the list is of any help first. It sounds like you are making some progress on finding utilities in lvm to get at the data.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I think I'll join the lvm list right away.

Your advice is very helpful to me, and I've been playing with the drives (a tiny bit) and reading up on lvm (a bit more) and just sitting here doing nothing except add applications I need on my new system. This has such a neat way of reminding me that I didn't back up yet another essential application -- and it is on the old system. A case in point is installing MySQL 5.0.18. I need my databases from my old installation of mysql 4.1.9.

I will either learn how to use and accept lvm from this experience, or I'll quit using it forever. Right now 'quit' feels like the nicest option.

Bob

I'm still digging around on lvm information myself. Most of the information is for ideal situations where everything works as expected. The below list is one that I recently crossed on my search. I want to become familiar with lvm before I start using it again. The concept seems positive in theory and was said to use metadata from microprocessor ram which should be faster with lvm vs. traditional partitions.

The problem with database formats changing from one version to another sounds like another detailed problem. Fortunately, database usage in Linux is not something I have to deal with at present. I only lost a few tables with little data for experimenting with postgresql.

Jim

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/maillists.html