Re: lvm lvrename on Fedora Core 4

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 21:08 -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> On my shiny new FC4 system, mount reports this device to be mounted on
> root "/":
>
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>
> And I assume that this is most of my hard drive except for /boot (which
> is /dev/sda1) and swap. Would renaming this with 'lvm lvrename' offer me
> any benefit? For example rename it to
>
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup05-LogVol10

I'd have thought "vgrename" would be sufficient - there shouldn't be any
need to rename the LVs once the VG is renamed.

If you do do this, check that /etc/fstab contains LABEL= lines to
identify mount points rather than hardcoded device names
like /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 or /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00; if it
doesn, you'll need to edit those too.

> My previous FC4 system has an LVM spanning 2 physical disks and it is
> going to be truly inconvenient to mount these disks on my current system
> and get at the contents of the data on them. I've forgotten to back up
> several important files to a DVD before doing a hardware upgrade that
> includes using only one Great Big Hard Drive, and I'm feeling the pain.
>
> So would renaming my current LVM make it easier to get my old drives
> (which are currently sitting around unused) mounted and accessible?

Yes, I would think so.

Paul.